Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Getting settled in...

Well, we are starting to get settled in at Our Children's House. Eli has been very busy with therapy already today. He has had Feeding therapy (at 7:30 am!), Occupational Therapy and Speech therapy. He also has three more feeding sessions today, as well as physical therapy. We've seen the social worker, pediatrician, respiratory therapist AND had two labs drawn! Needless to say, it has been a very long day. And since this is a hospital, nurses round every hour during the night. It has been a bit difficult for me because I am having to let go and step back to let the nurses do their jobs. They do Eli's tube feedings at night, administer all meds, etc.... All the stuff that I normally do. But we are starting to get the room organized and learn our schedule and routine.

I think the hardest thing for Eli is that he is not allowed to drink or eat outside of his feeding sessions, except for after his final session for the day. Then he can eat and drink what he wants. He is only allowed 3 ounces of water between sessions, which is not much for him considering that he was drinking about 60-70+ ounces a day at home. But hopefully, after these first few days, he will be more in his routine and the drinking won't be such a big deal.

Everyone we have met has been incredibly nice. We feel very welcome and are just trying to settle in a bit. The bathroom situation is a little tough. I have a shared toilet with another family. Then my shower is actually in the playroom and shared with three other families. I do have a sink in my room.... so I may get really good about sticking my legs up in the sink to shave and washing my hair in the sink! I've also warned all family and friends that come to visit to just be prepared to watch Eli for a bit so I can go to their hotel and take a real shower!! =)

I haven't taken many pictures yet, but I will soon and will be posting them as I can. Several people have asked for our address to mail cards. We would actually REALLY appreciate this! I think we are definitely going to need some words of encouragement over this next month! The address is:

Elijah Rouse c/o Our Children's House at Baylor
3301 Swiss Avenue
Room 121
Dallas, Texas 75204

I was comforted some this morning when I realized that Eli's room number, 121, is my Dad's old badge number! Helped me to think that maybe it was a sign from God that He and my Dad are watching over us and things will work out!!

We want to say thank you to everyone who has prayed for us, sent us words of encouragement, etc. We definitely appreciate them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment